Fandor Strikes Deal with Hulu to Stream Criterion Collection Classics (Exclusive)
Under the new arrangement, Fandor subscribers will be able to view about 30 Criterion movies each month
Fandor, the subscription streaming service that specializes in indie films, has struck a deal with Hulu Plus that will allow Fandor to offer about 30 films per month from the prestigious Criterion Collection.
Since 2011, the Criterion Collection, which includes more than 800 films from master directors like Michelangelo Antonioni, Ingmar Bergman, John Cassavetes and Rainer Werner Fassbinder, have been available for streaming on an exclusive basis at Hulu Plus. Under the new arrangement, which began today, Fandor will offer seven Criterion titles each week, beginning each Tuesday; the titles will be offered in packages built around themes like "Expeditions," "Island Life" and "Family Troubles"; each package of seven films will be play on Fandor, commercial free, for a 12-day run. Some films will debut with extra content, such as audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director's cuts, deleted scenes and documentaries.
The agreement was negotiated between Hulu's Griffin Gmelich and Fandor's Ted Hope and Jonathan Marlow. "I shared my envy with Griffin Gmelich that they had those films, and we hatched this idea," Hope, Fandor's CEO, explained. "Now the Fandor community has access to a group of titles for a 12-day period, and after that they'll be available on Hulu. It allows our members to get their feet wet and hopefully get turned on to these movies in the process."
Fandor has a library of 5,000 films, which are available for $10 a month on a monthly basis, or $7.50 a month with a year's membership.
"You spend so much money trying to market to disparate groups," Hope said of the rationale behind the deal. "We have to yell to a roomful of people expecting the few people who are our direct audience to respond. That's why it costs so much to market a movie. Yet if we had people already united around a common passion it'd be far more efficient. This deal with Hulu and Criterion validates the fact that Fandor is in fact that community, passionate film lovers who care deeply about all world cinema and aren't deterred by foreign language or the fact that a title may not be brand new in theaters this week. They're gathered for the smorgasbord of world cinema."
Criterion films are available both on the free, ad-supported Hulu.com and on its premium service Hulu Plus, where they stream ad-free and in HD.
Launch date: Nov. 11
1. Burden of Dreams (1982) dir. Les Blank
2. The Four Feathers (1939) dir. Zoltan Korda
3. The Gold Rush (1925) dir. Charles Chaplin
4. Letter Never Sent (1959) dir. Mikhail Kalatozov
5. Sanders of the River (1935) dir. Zoltan Korda
6. The Wages of Fear (1953) dir. Henri-Georges Clouzot
7. Woman in the Dunes (1964) dir. Hiroshi Teshigahara
Launch Date: 11/18/14
Series: Island Life
1. L'avventura (1960) dir. Michelangelo Antonioni
2. Bergman Island (2006) dir. Marie Nyrerod
3. Lord of the Flies (1963) dir. Peter Brook
4. Naked Island (1960) dir. Kaneto Shindo
5. Profound Desire of the Gods (1968) dir. Shohei Imamura
6. Stromboli (1950) dir. Roberto Rossellini
7. Through a Glass Darkly (1961) dir. Ingmar Bergman
Launch Date: 11/25/14
Series: Family Troubles
1. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974) dir. Rainer Werner Fassbinder
2. A nos amours (1983) dir. Maurice Pialat
3. The Ceremony (1971) dir. Nagisa Oshima
4. The Demon (1964) dir. Kaneto Shindo
5. Fists in the Pocket (1965) dir. Marco Bellocchio
6. The Housemaid (1960) dir. Kim Ki-young
7. Seduced and Abandoned (1964) dir. Pietro Germi
8. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) dir. John Cassavetes