FCC Blesses Red Sox Player's F-Bomb: He 'Spoke From the Heart' (Video)
David Ortiz’s emotional Fenway Park speech included the line, “This is our f---ing city!”
If ever there were an excuse for on-air f-bomb, this is it.
When the Boston Red Sox returned to Fenway Park on Saturday for its first game since the bombing of the city's marathon, designated hitter David Ortiz gave a brief but rousing speech punctuated by some R-rated language.
After thanking Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and the city’s police department, Ortiz yelled, “This is our f---ing city!” Ortiz added: “And nobody's going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”
The game against the Kansas City Royals was broadcast nationally on MLBN as well as regionally on NESN. It also was carried on local radio stations WEEI 850 and WUFC 1510.
But Ortiz’s f-bomb isn’t going to land him in hot water, with FCC chairman Julius Genachowski tweeting his blessing from the government agency’s official Twitter account.
David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today's Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston - Julius
— The FCC (@FCC) April 20, 2013
Ortiz’s speech comes one day after the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was taken into custody in Watertown, Mass. after a large-scale manhunt. His brother, suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed in a shootout early Friday morning.
The Red Sox went on to defeat Kansas city 4-3 in the game.
Watch the video below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR