Festival de Cannes Unveils 2013 Poster
Paul Newman and wife Joanne Woodward are chosen as the image for the fest’s 66th edition.
LONDON – A photograph of Joanne Woodward and the late Paul Newman taken during production of their 1963 film A New Kind of Love, directed by Melville Shavelson, is the image being used for the poster for this year's Festival de Cannes, which runs May 15 through 26.
Festival organizers said the poster and its image gives the 66th edition a chance to pay tribute to Newman, who died in 2008, and to mark "its undying admiration for Woodward, his wife and most favored co-star."
The pair were honored at the Festival de Cannes in 1958 – the year of their marriage – with the selection In Competition of Martin Ritt’s The Long Hot Summer, the first film in which they appeared together.
The links between their story and that of the festival continued with a series of films directed by Newman, who cast Woodward in unforgettable roles in The Effect of the Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (Competition – 1973) and The Glass Menagerie (Competition – 1987).
The photograph from the shoot was isolated, remastered and redesigned by the Paris-based Bronx agency.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game