Universal Pushes Back 'Fifty Shades' Release Date
The highly anticipated adaptation was set to open Aug. 1, 2014.
Fifty Shades of Grey fans will have to wait an extra six months before the EL James best-seller migrates to the big screen.
Universal Pictures and Focus Features have pushed back the release date for the highly anticipated adaptation from Aug. 1, 2014, to Feb. 13, 2015 -- giving the S&M-fueled love story a Valentine's Day weekend bow.
Despite mobilizing quickly to find a replacement for erstwhile male lead Charlie Hunnam, the studio took the inevitable step of moving the film from the summer 2014 frame.
The film, which stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan as the kinky couple Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey, already pushed its production start from early November to Dec. 2 in the wake of Hunnam's abrupt exit. But the studio continued to stick with its 2014 release date until it became clear that it would be impossible to shoot and finish the film in less than eight months.
Sam Taylor-Johnson is directing from a screenplay by Kelly Marcel.
Luke Grimes, Victor Rasuk and Jennifer Ehle round out the cast. However, one key role, that of Anastasia's best friend, has yet to be cast.
Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti are producing alongside James.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game