Universal Pushes Back 'Fifty Shades' Release Date
The highly anticipated adaptation was set to open Aug. 1, 2014.
Fifty Shades of Grey fans will have to wait an extra six months before the EL James best-seller migrates to the big screen.
Universal Pictures and Focus Features have pushed back the release date for the highly anticipated adaptation from Aug. 1, 2014, to Feb. 13, 2015 -- giving the S&M-fueled love story a Valentine's Day weekend bow.
Despite mobilizing quickly to find a replacement for erstwhile male lead Charlie Hunnam, the studio took the inevitable step of moving the film from the summer 2014 frame.
The film, which stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan as the kinky couple Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey, already pushed its production start from early November to Dec. 2 in the wake of Hunnam's abrupt exit. But the studio continued to stick with its 2014 release date until it became clear that it would be impossible to shoot and finish the film in less than eight months.
Sam Taylor-Johnson is directing from a screenplay by Kelly Marcel.
Luke Grimes, Victor Rasuk and Jennifer Ehle round out the cast. However, one key role, that of Anastasia's best friend, has yet to be cast.
Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti are producing alongside James.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott