'Fifty Shades of Grey' Start Date Pushed to Dec. 2 (Exclusive)
Jamie Dornan has been cast to star as Christian Grey after Charlie Hunnam's abrupt exit.
Due to the last-minute scramble to replace the lead role, Fifty Shades of Grey's production start date has been pushed about a month.
The production, which was scheduled to begin shooting in early November, will now begin filming on Dec. 2, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The delay raises the question of whether or not the film can be ready in less than eight months to meet its current release date of Aug. 1, 2014. If not, the film would likely be jettisoned out of the summer frame.
Sam Taylor-Johnson is directing from a screenplay by Kelly Marcel. Dakota Johnson is starring as Anastasia Steele, while Jamie Dornan was recently announced as the new Christian Grey.
Dornan was cast in the role after the original choice, Charlie Hunnam, abruptly dropped out a few weeks ago, claiming that his Sons of Anarchy schedule was stopping him from focusing on preparing for the role in the adaptation of EL James' racy novel. This forced the producers to scramble to find a new star in hopes of keeping on track for the August 2014 release.
Dornan tested Friday, Oct. 18, opposite female lead Johnson for director Taylor-Johnson, author James and producers Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti.
On Friday, it was announced that True Blood actor Luke Grimes will play Elliot Grey, the brother to Christian Grey.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty