Film Academy Announces 14 Scientific, Technical Achievements to Be Considered for Awards
The list has been made public in an effort to drum up submissions.
The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences announced Friday that 14 scientific and technical achievements have been selected for further awards consideration.
Individuals and companies with similar devices or claims of prior art are encouraged to submit their work for review. The deadline to submit entries is Tuesday, Aug. 27, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
The 2013 Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014.
See the list in full below:
Neutral density filters that remove infrared contamination.
· Prompted by the submission of the Infrared Neutral Density (IR ND) Filter Technology (Tiffen Co.)
Untethered HD video assist devices.
· Prompted by the submission of Meridian (Boxx TV Ltd.)
Software tools for accelerated simulation and rendering of smoke, fire and explosions.
· Prompted by the submission of Plume (ILM) and Flux (DreamWorks Animation)
Physically based shading and lighting techniques for digital rendering.
· Prompted by the submission Efficient Physically Inspired Shading (Pixar Animation Studios)
Software tools for integrated sculpting and painting of digital models.
· Prompted by the submission of Mudbox (Autodesk) and ZBrush (Pixologic)
Pre-computation techniques for visibility and lighting in rendering applications.
· Prompted by the submission of Weta’s Spherical Harmonics Lighting (Weta Digital)
Compositing systems using per-pixel “deep” depth information.
· Prompted by the submission of Deep Compositing (Weta Digital)
Software frameworks for integrated and extensible VFX and animation applications.
· Prompted by the submission of Zeno (ILM)
Integrated software tools for performance capture, visualization and manipulation.
· Prompted by the submission of MotionBuilder (Autodesk)
Non-explosive car flipping devices.
· Prompted by the submission of the Pneumatic Car Flipper (Fxperts, Inc.)
Helicopter-based camera motion-control platforms.
· Prompted by the submission of Flying-Cam 3.0 SARAH (Flying-Cam)
Digital workflow specifications for managing color.
· Prompted by the submission of ASC CDL (D-Cinema Consulting)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'