Filmmaker Norman Jewison set for tribute
Two-night event to feature screenings, panel
The Canadian Film Center and Film Independent will honor filmmaker and CFC founder Norman Jewison with a two-night tribute April 17-18 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Canadian Film Center.
As part of the program, "In the Heat of the Night" will screen April 17, and "Fiddler on the Roof" will screen April 18.
Also on April 17, Jewison will join a panel of stars and filmmakers from his films for a 90-minute conversation, moderated by film journalist Leonard Maltin.
Jewison has been nominated for four Oscars, and his films have received 46 nominations and 12 Academy Awards. In 1999, he received the Academy's Irving Thalberg Award for his body of work.
Founded by Jewison, the CFC, which is akin to the American Film Institute, opened in 1988. Some of its alumni include Sarah Polley (director-writer, "Away From Her"), Don McKellar (writer, "Blindness"), Vincenzo Natalie (director, "Splice"), Holly Dale (director, "Flashpoint") and Stephen Williams (co-exec producer/director, "Lost").
"I am thrilled that the LACMA Film Department is the venue for this tribute to Norman Jewison, who over the past three decades has directed some of the most entertaining and provocative films to emerge from Hollywood," said Ian Birnie, director of the film department at LACMA. "Not only is he a great storyteller and wonderful with actors, Jewison is a true artist who combines the craftmanship of big-screen filmmaking with an optimistic and socially progressive sensibility. In a diverse filmmography numbering over 25 films -- from 'In the Heat of the Night' through 'Moonstruck' to 'The Hurricane' -- there is scarcely a mean-spirited or cynical moment."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother