Final 'Twilight' Release Breaks U.K. Box Office Record
Entertainment One said Summit Entertainment's teen tentpole opened number one in Canada and Britain, marking the strongest-ever opening for the Canadian indie film distributor.
TORONTO – Canadian distributor Entertainment One has broken records with the release of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 in Canada and the U.K.
The Canadian distributor said it pulled in US$ 9.3 million on the opening weekend release for the Twilight franchise finale from Summit Entertainment.
And in the U.K., where eOne also released the teen tentpole as part of an output deal with Summit Entertainment, the Twilight finale generated £15.8 million (US$25.1 million) in ticket receipts at local cinemas, nearly £2 million ($3.1 million) more than the take for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1.
The British debut marked the highest opening weekend for the Twilight franchise in the U.K., and the fourth highest grossing three-day weekend of all time, behind Harry Potter and newly released Skyfall.
That also makes The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 the highest three-day opening in history for an American film in the U.K.
Across the U.K., Breaking Dawn – Part 2 is currently playing on 556 screens, and in Canada the film opened on 755 screens at 368 locations countrywide.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR