'Flashpoint' not struck work, WGC says
TORONTO -- The Writers Guild of Canada on Thursday said that "Flashpoint," the Canadian drama that CBS acquired earlier this week, should be no flashpoint for picketing U.S. writers.
"This is not a CBS show. We are not supporting struck work," WGC executive director Maureen Parker said.
CBS Paramount Network Television on Tuesday said it has acquired 13 episodes of "Flashpoint," a Canadian-made police drama that is set for production in April and will air on both the CBS and CTV this summer.
In the wake of the CBS announcement, certain Internet message boards on Wednesday began suggesting Canadian writers will break WGA strike rules if they work on what will be considered strike-spawned content.
"This is not a show for the American marketplace. It's made for the Canadian marketplace," Parker countered.
She said the "Flashpoint" pilot was in development at Canadian network CTV since 2005 before it was shot as a pilot in July 2007. CTV green-lighted the homegrown drama in December.
The WGC boss added that it was CBS that was outsourcing its own drama production during a labor dispute. "They desperately needed a drama, considering they have nothing on in terms of primetime drama," Parker said.
"Flashpoint" is executive produced by Anne Marie La Traverse for Pink Sky Entertainment and Bill Mustos for Avamar Entertainment, in association with CTV and CBS Paramount Network Television.
The deal with CBS for "Flashpoint" is the first by Canadian distributors as they look to turn homegrown dramas into sales to U.S. networks during the standoff between studios and writers.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay