Focus CEO James Schamus Renews Contract, Andrew Karpen Promoted
Karpen, who has been president since 2006, is named Co-CEO.
James Schamus has renewed his contract as Focus Features CEO, and Andrew Karpen has been promoted to co-CEO.
Schamus will continue to lead the specialty film company under a new multi-year contract. Karpen, who first joined Focus in 2003 and became president in 2006, will oversee the company's global business strategy and continue to spearhead its digital initiatives. His new title reflects the fact that both execs share in running all aspects of the company, including acquisitions and worldwide production, marketing and distribution. Karpen will continue to report to Schamus, who co-founded Focus in 2002 with David Linde, who is now CEO of Lava Bear Films.
Both men were scheduled to arrive Wednesday in Cannes, where Focus Features International and president of international sales and distribution Alison Thompson will be fielding a slate that includes such new titles as Mike Leigh's new film, starring Timothy Spall as painter J.M.W. Turner, and Asif Kapadia's documentary about Amy Winehouse. Other titles being offered include Ruairi Robinson's thriller The Last Days on Mars, which is screening in the Directors' Fortnight section.
On the domestic front, Focus recently released Derek Cianfrance's The Place Beyond the Pines. Its upcoming release slate includes The World’s End, a comedy reuniting director Edgar Wright with actors Simon Pegg and Nick Frost; the thriller Closed Circuit, directed by John Crowley and starring Eric Bana and Rebecca Hall; and Dallas Buyers Club, a fact-based drama directed by Jean-Marc Vallée and starring Matthew McConaughey.
Over the course of its eleven-year history, Focus, which is part of NBCUniversal, has grossed $2.8 billion worldwide. Its films have earned 84 Academy Award nominations, winning 16.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David