Foreign Box Office: 'Skyfall' Earns Massive $287 Million in First 10 Days
The 23rd installment in the James Bond film franchise earned $156 million for the weekend; the movie begins rolling out in North America on Nov. 8.
James Bond pic Skyfall continues to make history at the international box office, grossing $287 million in its first 10 days of play.
The Sony and MGM movie -- directed by Sam Mendes and returning Daniel Craig in the role of 007 -- took in a massive $157 million over the weekend as it expanded into additional territories.
So far, Skyfall has grossed $139 million for Sony and $17 million for MGM's foreign distribution partners.
With the success of Skyfall, Sony Pictures Releasing International is now having a record year, with revenues of $2.16 billion through Sunday. Sony's previous best year internationally was $2.14 billion in 2009.
Worldwide, Sony titles have generated $3.6 billion in ticket sales so far for the year, putting the studios on course to reach a record $4 billion.
Skyfall, which begins opening in North America on Nov. 8, is pacing well ahead of Quantum of Solace and Casino Royale in most markets.
Skyfall debuted to $23.9 million in Germany over the weekend, the biggest opening of 2012. It opened to $7.9 in Italy and $6.7 million in Spain, the second best opening of the year after The Impossible. Switzerland turned in a record-breaking $5.3 million, the biggest debut of all time (Quantum of Solace was the previous best).
IMAX is seeing big returns. Skyfall grossed $4.3 million from 132 IMAX locations in 36 territories over the weekend for a cume of $10 million, the best number ever for a non-holiday or non-summer film.
- The Epic Disney Blow-Up of 1994
- Mickey Rooney's Final Days Marred by Bizarre Family Feud
- Why Stephen Colbert Is the Perfect David Letterman Replacement
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Nurse Jackie" Is At Its Most Dramatic This Season
- Non-Newtonian Fluids Rock Out As Stars Of Jack White's New Music Video
- Dave Attell's 'Road Work' & 'Comedy Underground' Bring His Raw, Unfiltered Style Back To TV
- James Cameron: The Scripts For All Three 'Avatar' Sequels Are Almost Done, Plus More Reddit AMA Highlights