Fort Hood Shooting: Cable Networks Report

 CNN

A shooting on Fort Hood in Killeen, Tex., has left four people dead -- including the shooter -- and 14 dead, according to officials. The military base went on lock down Wednesday. The military base's official Twitter account tweeted at 5:01 p.m. local time that all "personnel on post are asked to shelter in place." 

Ivan Lopez, a 34-year-old soldier, was identified as the suspect by MSNBC and CBS. Officials later confirmed he was the shooter. A number of networks -- including CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC -- reported that the suspect had been shot and killed.

MSNBC's Pete Williams reported that after the shooting took place, the suspect then turned the gun on himself and killed himself. He added, it is believed that the suspect was wearing a military uniform and that the shooting stemmed from an argument that took place.

On Fox, Greta Van Susteren said a senior law enforcement official had confirmed to the network that three victims as well as the shooter were dead. Shepard Smith said a senior military source told FoxNews.com this was a soldier-on-soldier incident, and there was no reason to believe this was a terror attack.

Earlier, Law enforcement officials were unclear whether there are multiple shooters, Bell County Sheriff's Office Lt. Donnie Adams told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on air.

"There are in fact multiple injures from this incident," CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr said on the network.

On MSNBC, Hardball With Chris Matthews was interrupted for live coverage and revealed that the FBI was present to help secure the scene. Peter Alexander reported from the White House that President Barack Obama was traveling but that this incident would be very close to his heart "after the number of mass shootings" that have occurred during his presidency.

Later, Obama spoke to reporters from a Chicago steakhouse, where he earlier had met with donors.

"They serve with valor, they serve with distinction and when they're at their home base, they need to feel safe," Obama said.

Fort Hood was the site of a mass shooting November 5, 2009. Thirteen people died and 30 were wounded in that attack, making it the deadliest one on a domestic military installation in U.S. history.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

comments powered by Disqus