Fox International Channels Signs Disney Content Deal for Asian Territories
The arm of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox acquires first-window pay-TV rights to such shows as "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" and "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" for Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Fox international Channels has signed a deal with Disney Media Distribution to bring Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and Trophy Wife to Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
FIC acquired exclusive first-window pay-TV rights to air SHIELD on FOX in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines, and on STAR Movies in Taiwan. The other series will be shown on Star World in the various territories.
FIC is the international arm of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century FOX’s multi-media business. In Asia, FIC operates or distributes over 30 channel brands, including the FOX, STAR and National Geographic brands.
SHIELD’s Marvel universe is well known in the region, thanks to the success of The Avengers and the Iron Man franchise -- Iron Man 3 pulled in $345.1 at box offices across Asia Pacific earlier this year.
Rights to upcoming crime series Killer Women were also part of the deal. The show is about a former beauty queen’s rise in the Texas Rangers; Modern Family’s Sofía Vergara is executive producing.
Joon Lee, executive vp of content and communications for FIC in Asia Pacific and the Middle East said in a statement, “The acquisition of these great shows builds on our strength as the leading pay-TV network in the region. Through our close partnership with DMD, we are able to present our viewers with more of what they love, such as the hugely successful Marvel live action series and movies, along with a wide variety of other top-rated television programs.”
The two companies already have an agreement in place that gives FIC exclusive first window pay-TV rights for Marvel’s live action film features on FOX Movies Premium. Such titles will include Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.
“We are pleased to continue our long relationship with FIC which allows us to bring the best of U.S. TV to consumers here in Asia with programs from Disney, ABC and Marvel, said Amit Malhotra, vp of program distribution at Disney Media Distribution, Asia Pacific. “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD is the first live action series from Marvel and we are extremely excited to bring it to consumers via FIC's platforms in the region.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack