Fox International Channels Unveils New Lifestyle and Reality Programming Division
Former Bravo and Real Housewives executive producer Christian Barcellos is charged with developing original unscripted series for global rollouts.
TORONTO - FOX International Channels has tapped Real Housewives executive producer Christian Barcellos to head up a new lifestyle and reality series division.
Barcellos becomes executive vp of lifestyle and reality programming at the global channels unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., overseeing development, production and acquisitions of unscripted programming.
He will be based in New York City once he takes his post in November, working opposite Sharon Tal Ygaudo on the scripted programming front and reporting to FIC president and CEO Hernan Lopez.
The hire comes as FIC looks to ramp up original series development and production for 300-plus international pay TV networks in 181 countries after building out its global footprint.
The networks and their related mobile and other extensions reach more than 1.6 billion households worldwide.
“Around the world, the FOX brand is synonymous with original, breakthrough content in entertainment and sports. Now we want to achieve that status with lifestyle and reality programming," Lopez said in a statement.
The 20th Century Fox unit earlier expanded into sport by launching FIC Sports.
Now adding lifestyle and reality programming to its entertainment offering, FIC is looking to better position its programming for cable and satellite TV platforms.
Barcellos most recently served as vp of production and executive producer at Bravo.
Besides five incarnations of The Real Housewives franchise, including the Atlanta and New Jersey series, his TV credits include Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Inside the Actors Studio.
"This is my dream job - working for a visionary company expanding into uncharted territory," Barcellos said in his own statement.
Before Bravo, Barcellos worked in creative services for Rainbow Media, rising to the creative director post.
Now with FIC, he will be called on to produce tentpole unscripted franchises ripe for global day-and-date rollouts, much as what happens on the scripted front with series like The Walking Dead, The Bridge and Da Vinci's Demons.
FIC recently unveiled two new original series in development, Outcast, from The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, and False Flag, a U.S. adaptation of a Israeli scripted drama with Homeland's Keshet International and Parkland’s writer/director Peter Landsman.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!