Fox Launches Star Chinese Movies Channel in Southeast Asia
The international arm of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox adds Thailand and Indonesia to its expansive broadcasting reach for Chinese-language content.
Fox international Channels, the international multimedia arm of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, launched Friday a dedicated Southeast Asia feed of its Star Chinese Movies channel.
The rollout in Southeast Asia expands on the seven other Star Chinese Movie feeds Fox has in place around the world, spanning Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Canada, U.S., Australia, and New Zealand.
According to Fox, SCM is the farthest-reaching Chinese-language channel in global entertainment. It secures exclusive first-window rights for top Chinese-language movies from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and other Chinese-speaking countries across Asia. Upcoming offerings include Wong Kar Wai’s The Grandmaster, Johnnie To’s narco action thriller Drug War, and the Singapore's surprise Cannes winner, Ilo Ilo.
Along with the linear channel, FIC also offers SCM Play, an online catch-up service via the web or the iOS and Android app, allowing viewers to catch up on the channel’s content via their computer, tablet or phone.
As of Friday, SCM’s Southeast Asia feed is available in Thailand via affiliates GMMZ and MeTV, and in Indonesia via partners First Media, Big TV, Parabola Orange TV, Skynindo. SCM will also roll out on Aora TV from Dec. 1.
SCM tailors its content to the local markets of its various feeds. The Southeast Asia feed is currently airing Hong Kong's Saving General Yang and Singaporean hits Ah Boys to Men 1 & 2 and The Wedding Diary 2, which was an SCM co-production. The films are subtitled in both English and the local market languages.
“The launch of SCM’s new feed for Southeast Asia marks another milestone for FIC’s ambitious goals to develop and promote Chinese entertainment as premium crossover content, not just in Asia but worldwide,” said Cora Yim, vp of the Chinese Channels Group at Fox International Channels. “With our global scale, steady investment in not just acquiring but also producing content, and established channel brand of SCM, FIC is in a great position to lead the charge in taking Chinese content global.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack