Fox News Channel Fires Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum (Report)
The move comes after the deadline passes regarding their decisions to run for president.
Fox News Channel has terminated the contracts of Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum after the deadline passed for both to make a decision about running for president, Politico reported, citing anonymous sources.
The two were suspended in March for 60 days, until May 1, and were told their contracts would be "terminated unless they notify Fox that they are not running for president," FNC political anchor Bret Baier told viewers in March.
FNC still has three other potential White House contenders on its payroll: Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee and John Bolton. The channel is expected to take the same action against them if they get closer to jumping into the race.
Gingrich, a contributor for the network since 1999, reportedly earned nearly $1 million a year as part of his two-year contract, which was set to expire in 2013.
Santorum was making a little under $100,000 a year in a three-year deal, also set to expire in 2013, according to reports.
Huckabee earns around $500,000 a year in a deal that ends in 2012, while Palin earns $1 million annually in a three-year agreement that also ends in 2012.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!