Fox News falls for fake news story
Reports that L.A. to spend $1 billion on police jetpacks
Fox News briefly fell for a fake news story Tuesday about Los Angeles looking to spend $1 billion on jetpacks for its police force, but quickly retracted the story, the Huffington Post reported Wednesday.
The hosts of "Fox and Friends" seemed skeptical about the story and retracted the report within an hour, the blog said.
Gawker suggested the report probably originated from a story in the Weekly World News, the tongue-in-cheek publication behind such characters as Bat Boy.
As The Hollywood Reporter had exclusively reported, the Weekly World News last year signed with CAA.
Check out the video.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR