Fox News Fights Back in Jim Carrey War: 'Come Sue Us' (Video)
"The Five" host Greg Gutfeld called the comedian's press release "a complete meltdown" and proclaimed that the late Charlton Heston has a "brighter future in films" than Carrey.
A war between Jim Carrey and Fox News escalated late Friday over the comedian’s Funny or Die video mocking Charlton Heston and gun owners.
About an hour after Carrey issued a statement through his publicist demeaning what he called “Fux News,” five of the network’s hosts dissected Carrey’s words, with one of them daring Carrey to debate him on air while others laughed at the actor’s veiled threat of legal action.
“Jimmy mocked Mr. Heston but won’t respond to me -- yet,” host Greg Gutfeld said on The Five on Friday. “I guess Jimmy thought he couldn’t lose to a debate to a dead man. That’s what’s really funny. He did. And now Charlton Heston has a brighter future in films than Jim Carrey.”
Gutfeld was one of the most visible critics of Carrey’s video, where the comedian sings a song called “Cold Dead Head” that challenges Heston’s masculinity and insinuates he’s in Hell for his work with the NRA. Carrey also called Americans who are against more gun-control laws, “Motherf---ers.” Gutfeld first asked Carrey last week to come on Fox News and defend the video and his view of gun owners, and he called Carrey a “pathetic tool.”
Bob Beckel, another host on The Five, told Gutfeld Friday: “Do not sell yourself short here, you got to him,” then he and others read portions of Carrey’s recently issued statement about “Fux.”
“He issued a press release, which is basically a complete meltdown,” Gutfeld said. “This is a guy that insulted most of America and danced on the grave of Charlton Heston. Jim Carrey is, in this letter, threatening legal action -- something Charlton Heston can’t do because Charlton Heston is dead. That was the whole point, to stand up for somebody who couldn’t talk back to a fool like Jim Carrey.”
Gutfeld continued: “He released this video, then he retreated. He wouldn’t respond. He hid like a little baby.”
Carrey’s statement reads, in part: “Since I released my Cold Dead Hand video on Funny or Die this week, I have watched Fux News rant, rave, bare its fangs and viciously slander me because of my stand against large magazines and assault rifles. I would take them to task legally if I felt they were worth my time or that anyone with a brain in their head could actually fall for such irresponsible buffoonery.”
On The Five, Beckel honed in on the mention of legal action.
“You talked out of your arse,” he said of Carrey. “Come sue us. Bring your arse and we’ll bring what little brains we have and see what happens.”
The lengthy segment was tagged: "Carrey caves to Fox News in response to Cold Dead Hand coverage.”
Weaved into the segment was a discussion of American Pie actor Jason Biggs recently tweeting some profane jokes about Pope Benedict.
“I remember when celebrities were actually cool,” Gutfeld said Friday, mentioning James Dean and Steve McQueen. “Now they’re so predictable and so stupid.”
Gutfeld introduced the segment with a monologue where he said: “Our country is great because washed-up comics have the right to suck. Based on that, Jason and Carrey are civil-rights pioneers. They’re the Jackie Robinsons of sucking … But really, Jimmy and Jason, if you want to create the illusion of edge, at least take a risk. Stop choosing targets approved by your sheep-like peers."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR