Fox News Parts Ways With Sarah Palin
The former Alaska governor and vice-presidential candidate had been a contributor to the cable channel.
Fox News will not renew its contract with Sarah Palin, a network rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter, parting ways with the former vice-presidential candidate who joined the network as a contributor after she and presidential candidate John McCain lost the 2008 election.
The former Alaska governor and Fox News amicably parted ways on June 1, the network confirmed to THR. Palin, who has a show on the Sportsman Channel, is expected to continue to make guest appearances on Fox and Fox Business, Politico, which previously reported on Fox and Palin's split, added, teasing that she "will announce a new publishing project soon."
Palin and Fox briefly went their separate ways in 2013 with her not renewing her three-year contract in January of that year before she returned as a paid contributor in June.
When Palin and Fox parted ways in 2013, the departure came after months of Palin expressing her displeasure with the network, including an August 2012 Facebook post complaining about her not appearing in the network's Republican National Convention coverage.
When asked a few months later by THR why he rehired Palin, Fox News CEO Roger Ailes said: "The only two people I knew who got worse press than her were Richard Nixon and George W. Bush -- some of it unfairly, much of it unfair to her family … . I probably hired her back, if you really want to get to the bottom of it, to give her a chance to say her piece and piss off the people that wanted her dead."
Palin later posted on her Facebook page that she "accepted for the same reason!"
Ailes once told the Associated Press, "I hired Sarah Palin because she was hot and got ratings."
As of Wednesday morning, Fox News' website still listed Palin as one of its contributors.