Fox Makes Super Bowl Ad History With 'Rio' Promo
Twentieth Century Fox will make Super Bowl history this Sunday when a 30-second spot for 3D toon Rio becomes the first ad to air during the game with an embedded code. Embed is tied to app Angry Birds.
Studios are back in force this year in terms of buying up time during the Super Bowl, the most watched event of the year. It's the first time Fox has plugged a movie during the event since Jumper in 2008.
Rio promo will air during the fourth quarter of the showdown between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers, which airs on the Fox Broadcasting Network.
During the spot, viewers will be invited to find the frame with the code, which in turns directs them to a special level of Angry Birds, which has entered into a first-of-its kind partnership with Fox. The level will take Angry Birds players to a Rio sweepstakes.
The sweepstakes winner will attend Rio's world premiere in Rio de Janeiro on March 22. That same day, Fox and Rovio launch the highly anticipated "Angry Birds Rio" app. Film opens April 15.
The Rio Super Bowl spot will be available across the web, including YouTube.
Paramount's the big buyer this year in terms of the Super Bowl. During the game, it will air spots for J.J. Abrams' alien-invasion pic Super 8, the threequel Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Gore Verbinski's CGI film Rango and Marvel's superhero pics Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger.
Disney has bought time during the game for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, while Universal and DreamWorks' will plug the Daniel Craig-Harrison Ford sci-fi western Cowboys & Aliens.
Studios also have bought time during the pregame, and during Glee, which airs immediately following the Super Bowl.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama