Fox Writers Intensive Selects 2012 Fellow, Inks Development Deal
Chosen from 10 FWI finalists, Thomas Wong's "Queen" will be developed at Fox Broadcasting Company.
Selected as the first Fox Writers Intensive fellow, Thomas Wong has inked a deal for Fox to develop his project, Queen.
Wong, who was chosen from the inaugural class of 10 FWI finalists, will also see his referring organization, Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment, receive a $15,000 FWI grant to be earmarked for its writing program.
“I was impressed with Thomas' unique sensibility and strong work throughout the Fox Writers Intensive – as well as the promising talent of our other FWI finalists – and I'm excited to continue building our relationships with all of these gifted writers,” Fox’s entertainment chief Kevin Reilly said of the Gersh-repped Wong and other members of the company’s program for advanced writers of diverse backgrounds.
As part of the newly launched program, the FWI finalists whittled down from more than 300 applicants spent four months participating in a rigorous curriculum administered by FWI partner Film Independent. The program features collaborative sessions with such writers and producers as Bones’ Hart Hanson, Awake’s Davey Holmes and Friday Night Lights’ Patrick Massett. Additionally, senior Fox executives including Reilly, Fox Searchlight Pictures president Nancy Utley and Fox Filmed Entertainment Writer’s Studio president Nicky Weinstock participated in the program.
“It’s extremely important to our industry that we continually nurture fresh, diverse voices in storytelling,”added Utley. “The level of talent we saw in the Fox Writers Intensive finalists was absolutely phenomenal, and I look forward to working with many of them in the future.”
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10