Francis Lawrence to Direct Final 'Hunger Games' Films, 'Mockingjay' Part 1 and 2
The "Catching Fire" helmer will finish the series, which should end with a final release in 2015.
Like Hunger Games heroine Katniss Everdeen, Francis Lawrence is returning to the arena.
Lionsgate has tapped the director for the final two films of the series, Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2. Lawrence is currently shooting Catching Fire, the second installment of the smash YA adaptation series, in Atlanta.
The final two films in the Hunger Games series, which center on the life-or-death struggles of Katniss Everdeen in and out of the arena, will hit theaters Nov. 21, 2014, and Nov. 20, 2015, respectively.
Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2 will be written by Danny Strong and star Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. The two films, which are being adapted from a single novel, follow the heroine’s journey as she leads the districts of Panem in a rebellion against the tyrannical and corrupt Capitol. As the war that will determine the fate of Panem escalates, Katniss must decipher for herself who she can trust and what needs to be done, with everything she cares for in the balance.
The first installment of the Hunger Games franchise has grossed nearly $700 million worldwide. The highly anticipated Catching Fire opens in theaters Nov. 22, 2013.
Francis Lawrence’s directing credits also include Water for Elephants, I Am Legend and Constantine. He is repped by CAA.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Arsenio Hall 'Proves' David Letterman Wanted Him As A Replacement (VIDEO)
- Conan Calls Out '60 Minutes' For Even More Questionable Dubbing
- A Conversation with Bertrand Tavernier: On Politics, His Favorite Star, Early Influences, and His New Film
- Spotify's '90s Smash Hits! Playlist Is The Best Thing Since TRL
- James Franco Is the Happiest Guy Opening His 'New Film Stills' Art Exhibition at Pace Gallery!
- Tom Hiddleson 'Very Much' Wants to Play a Normal Character Who Wears Jeans!
- Cher Rocks Heart Shaped Nipple Pasties, Displays Fabulous Figure at 67!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Has Some Time Before Filming 'Secret Scripture'