FremantleMedia Enterprises Takes Merchandising Rights to Sonic the Hedgehog in Europe
FME will be the licensing agent for the Sega videogame character for German-speaking and Eastern Europe.
COLOGNE, Germany – FremantleMedia Enterprises, a division of X Factor production house FremantleMedia, has secured European licensing rights to Sonic the Hedgehog, the spiky-haired blue videogame character Sega first launched in 1991.
FME’s deal, signed with SEGA Europe, gives its licensing rights to Sonic’s likeness for German-speaking and Eastern Europe. The company unveiled the deal at the Munich Licensing Market this week and is hoping to find merchandising partners across the fashion, mobile phone, toy and publishing industries.
Originally launched by Sega as a way to combat Nintendo’s Super Mario character, Sonic the Hedgehog has become one of the best-known video game brands of all time, with more than 70 million Sonic games sold worldwide.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!