French Audiences Following 'HOUBA! On the Trail of the Marsupilami'
The kids’ comedy had the second best opening for a film in France this year and has charmed audiences in Belgium and Switzerland in its first week in theaters.
PARIS – A yellow, black-spotted monkey-like creature has attacked the French box office with Alain Chabat’s HOUBA! On the Trail of The Marsupilami a huge hit in the territory. The film, currently at the top of the Gallic box office, boasted the second best opening of the year when it launched on April 4 in 800 cinemas across France. Marsupilami has sold 1,728,270 tickets after just one week in theaters.
The live action film, featuring adorable fictional character the marsupilami, has charmed audiences outside of French borders in Belgium via Alternative Films and in Switzerland where it sold 43,000 tickets to bring it to the top of the Swiss box office.
Marsupilami is Chabat’s fourth feature film in the director’s chair. Chabat also produced the film via his Chez Wam production company and co-stars opposite Gallic megastar Jamel Debbouze and an A-list Gallic cast including Lambert Wilson, Geraldine Nakache, and Fred Testot.
HOUBA! On the Trail of the Marsupilami is based on the popular comic book series written by Andre Franquin that has cult status across the globe, is now an international franchise and has been adapted into several animated series, including a Disney version stateside in the early 1990s. Chabat’s movie version pits the actor as a journalist who teams up with a good-hearted con artist hot on the trail of the elusive title character.
The film has received positive reviews from critics in France, but the film’s sales agent Pathe International is still on the trail of a US distributor.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)