'Funny Girl' Revival to Star Bobby Cannavale
UPDATED: The actor will play male lead opposite Lauren Ambrose in the stage production.
Bobby Cannavale will star opposite Lauren Ambrose in the revival of Funny Girl. Funny Girl will play at the Center Theatre Group/Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles from Jan. 15 through Feb. 26, 2012, and hopes to move to Broadway in New York City after.
Cannavale, who is a two-time Tony Award nominee and Emmy Award winner will play Nick Arnstein while Ambrose will star as Fanny Brice. The play, which features music by Jule Styne, lyrics by Bob Merrill and a book by Isobel Lennart, will be directed by Tony Award winner Bartlett Sher.
“It’s always been my dream to star in a Broadway musical,” said Cannavale. “This is a terrific role for my musical theatre debut and an exciting challenge for me. I look forward to working with the brilliant Bartlett Sher and the amazingly talented Lauren Ambrose.”
Funny Girl was a hit when it opened on Broadway on March 26, 1964 at the Winter Garden Theatre, playing for 1,348 performances. The play was adapted for the big screen in the 1968 movie version, but has been on Broadway since the original production closed in 1967.
Funny Girl will be produced in Los Angeles at the Ahmanson Theatre by Center Theatre Group, with special permission from Bob Boyett, Sonia Friedman Productions, Jean Doumanian, Stacey Mindich and Tim Levy.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game