Jason Reitman Casts Child Star for Next Film 'Labor Day' (Exclusive)
Gattlin Griffith, who appeared as Angelina Jolie's abducted son in 2008's "Changeling," will join Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin as the character at the center of Reitman's follow-up to "Young Adult."
Oscar-nominated filmmaker Jason Reitman has cast the key child role in his upcoming drama Labor Day.
Gattlin Griffith, 13, who appeared as Angelina Jolie's abducted son in 2008's Changeling and as a young Ryan Reynolds in last summer's The Green Lantern, has entered negotiations to join Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin in Reitman's follow-up to last year's Young Adult. Paramount and Indian Paintbrush are backing the film. Helen Estabrook, Lianne Halfon and Russell Smith are producing.
Reitman had toiled for months to find the right child for the role, which sources describe as the center of the story. In the script, written by Reitman based on a novel by Joyce Maynard, a depressed single mom (Winslet) offers an escaped convict (Brolin) a ride in her car. As their relationship evolves, the action is seen through the eyes of Winslet's child (Griffith).
Reitman is said to have decided on Griffith but a deal has not closed. News of the casting comes on the same day James Van Der Beek joined the film.
Griffith is represented by Paradigm and Curtis Talent.
Reitman, Oscar nominated for both Juno and Up in the Air, is represented by WME.
Paramount declined to comment.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)