Gavin DeGraw's 'Sweeter' Mixes 'Clean and Honest' Style With 'Risky' Vocals (Video)
The singer discusses his latest album with THR, which dropped on Sept. 20.
Gavin DeGraw shows fans a new side of his personality with his fourth studio album, Sweeter, combining signature romantic ballads with rock tracks, showcasing the singer’s sometimes devious personality.
VIDEO: Gavin DeGraw Cites Musical Influences on Upcoming Album 'Sweeter'
“Overall, the album is really a wide spectrum of style,” he told The Hollywood Reporter in a sit down interview. “Some of the older stuff that I did… kinda clean and honest, and some of this other stuff that’s a little bit funkier and a bit more risky, vocally and lyrically.”
DeGraw released his first album, Chariot, in 2003. Since then, much has changed in the music industry.
“Just like any other business, the technology helps manipulate what’s going to take place as far as the business is concerned. The thing about this particular business, though, is that the item that people sell is easily stolen or just easily transported,” he explained. “I have nothing to do with that. I just make the music.”
“I spend most of my time going out, doing funny things like this — like this interview,” he laughed. “And going out and playing live shows. You can’t download a t-shirt, right?”
The singer also performed an acoustic version of the album’s lead single in the THR studio. Watch below.
Sweeter debuted to positive reviews on Tuesday, Sept. 20. DeGraw wrapped his nationwide tour with Maroon 5 and Train in August, and is set to embark on a fall tour with American Idol alum David Cook in October.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10