Gavin Smith Family Calls Off Weekend Search for Missing Fox Executive
Family spokesman Howard Bragman said the decision came after consultations with the LA County Sheriff's Department.
A search for missing 20th Century Fox executive Gavin Smith scheduled for this weekend has been canceled. The family’s public relations counselor, Howard Bragman, said the decision came after consultations with the LA County Sheriff's Department and the Smith family.
“There is not a specific area of defined interest to make this effort productive at this time,” Bragman said in a statement released Wednesday evening.
The search had been planned to take place May 19-20 at undisclosed "remote areas," and Smith's family had asked members of the public to assist.
“The family is hopeful that people will be able to join us on our search this weekend," Smith's sister, Tara Addeo, said in a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday. "The love and support of so many has helped us immensely.”
Family members had also planned on granting interviews to local media to publicize the search.
Smith, 57, was last seen May 1 at a friend's residence in Oak Park, an affluent Ventura County community. He left the property between 9 and 10 p.m. in his black Mercedes-Benz E420 sedan, according to the Sheriff’s department. Smith is 6-foot-6 and was wearing purple pants and black and gray shoes at the time of his disappearance.
Smith has worked in Fox’s distribution department for 18 years, where he is branch manager for theaters in Dallas and Oklahoma City. He acts as a liaison between the studio and theaters to help ensure films reach their destinations.
The Smith family has set up a Web site to raise awareness of his disappearance.
Read the statement from Bragman below.
After consultations between the LA County Sherriff's Department and the Gavin Smith family, it has been decided that there will be NO search this weekend. There is not a specific area of defined interest to make this effort productive at this time.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR