Gawker Media to Revive Defamer
The news comes four years after the entertainment industry blog was absorbed into Gawker.
Look out, Hollywood! Gawker's entertainment industry gossip blog Defamer is being revived, the company said Tuesday via a blog post.
Former Deadspin and Gawker editor-in-chief A.J. Daulerio will serve as the "temporary refounding" editor.
Daulerio, who left Gawker in January, said he will be spending the next three months in L.A. looking for candidates, who will ultimately be L.A.-based, to oversee the new Defamer.
After four years as a stand-alone site, Defamer was absorbed into Gawker.com on the same day as the 2009 Oscars. In recent years, Hollywood news and gossip posts on Gawker have gone out through a Defamer vertical, but it was no longer being run as a separate site.
Defamer chronicled entertainment industry news and gossip with snarky posts, often poking fun at powerful execs and celebs.
When it was folded into Gawker, there were reports that Gawker Media head Nick Denton had tried to sell Defamer.
“Ultimately, the [Defamer] brand was worth more to us —as a section of the Gawker site,” Denton said when it was being absorbed into Gawker.com.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!