Gene Simmons-Shannon Tweed Wedding: Guests React on Twitter
Hugh Hefner said it was a "romantic, family affair" while Bill Maher tweeted, "Only in Hollywood do they pause the wedding ceremony to let the helicopter go by."
A&E is calling it the “Royal Rock Wedding”: and when KISS bassist Gene Simmons married his girlfriend of 28 years Shannon Tweed Saturday, the couple, with their two children and nearly 400 guests, rocked and rolled all night.
Early Sunday morning, Tweed-Simmons tweeted: “That was the best wedding I’ve ever been to!! Thank you @GENESIMMONS @SophieTSimmons & Nick Simmons!”
Hugh Hefner, who briefly dated Tweed-Simmons back in the ‘80s before she got together with Simmons, attended the former playmate’s nuptials with his new girlfriend, Playboy’s Miss November 2010 Shera Bechard.
Bechard tweeted, “@shannonleetweed you were beyond words the most beautiful bride I’ve ever seen. Thank you for having us on your special day @hughhefner and I!!!”
Hefner later tweeted, “The Gene Simmons-Shannon Tweed wedding was a very romantic, family affair.”
Another wedding guest, Bill Maher, began live tweeting the scene. And what a scene it was—with the full camera crew in attendance, filming for the upcoming season of A&E’s Gene Simmons: Family Jewels.
“At the Gene Simmons-Shannon Tweed wedding – a dog just walked down the aisle ahead of the bride so it’s a good start,” Maher tweeted. Later, he said, “Only in Hollywood do they pause the wedding ceremony to let the helicopter go by.” He then couldn’t resist adding in some personal commentary on the person officiating the ceremony: “People who perform wedding ceremonies these days talk too much. Its not YOUR day. If we wanted a sermon we’d go to church.”
Another person possibly spoiling a few of the details for viewers this season: none other than Gene Simmons Family Jewels’ executive producer, Adam Reed.
“ All I can say is wow wow wow… amazing moment! What a ceremony and the reception is like none other…wow,” Reed tweeted. Later on in the night, Reed returned to the twitterverse: “Reception in full effect…gene singing…sophie singing…nich singing…and SHANNON singing! Party is off the hook.”
Aside from the bride singing and the couple’s 19-year-old daughter Sophie Tweed-Simmons singing Etta James’ “At Last” for the first dance, Simmons got onstage with his KISS bandmates and performed. “The most surreal reception ever,” Reed tweeted. “Would you believe me if I said all the members of KISS just got on stage and performed? Holy s**t. Awesome.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Week’s Best Game of Thrones Reader Comments: ‘The Lion and the Rose’
- Douglas Coupland on Being a Visual Artist, the ‘Torture’ of Interviews, and Unintended Side Effects
- Alan Thicke on His New Reality Sitcom and Being ‘Considerably More Boring Than Jason Seaver’
- 6 Forgotten Teen Films of the Late ’90s and Early ’00s