George Clooney, Grant Heslov to Produce 'August: Osage County' for Weinstein Co.
Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are attached to star in the adaptation of the Tony Award-winning play.
George Clooney and his Smokehouse Pictures producing partner Grant Heslov have come aboard to produce the big-screen adaptation of August: Osage County for the Weinstein Co.
Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep are attached to star in the project, based on the Pulitzer Prize- and Tony Award-winning play. John Wells (Company Men) will direct.
Clooney and Heslov join producersSteve Traxler andJean Doumanian.
Written by Tracy Letts, the play follows the women of a family whose lives have splintered in many directions until a crisis brings them back to their childhood home and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.
Streep will play the pill-popping matriarch, while Roberts will portray her daughter.
Smokehouse most recently produced last year’s The Ides of March, another adaptation of a play, and is developing The Monuments Men, a World War II thriller Clooney would direct.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR