George Harrison iPad App Debuts
Fans of the late Beatles will have the opportunity to experience his historic guitar collection with a guided tour featuring Ben Harper, Josh Homme, Mike Campbell and more.
Just two days shy of what would have been George Harrison’s 69th birthday, Bandwith Publishing, along with the George Harrison Estate, today announced the release of an iPad app celebrating the guitarist and his historic guitar collection.
The Guitar Collection: George Harrison brings the late Beatle's private collection to life through audio, video footage, detailed descriptions and photographs, with the help of 360° imaging by photographer Steven Sebring. The scratches, dings and worn threads on the guitars tell a story as if fans were holding the instrument in their own hands. A number of Harrison’s best-known six-strings are featured in the app, including the Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, the Fender Stratocaster named Rocky, and the Zemaitis Lotus 12-String to name a few. Additional guitars will be added to the app in the future.
Personal audio recordings from Harrison himself introduce many of the guitars as he plays sections of songs from his catalogue. The detailed history of each instrument is carefully laid out, from the guitar's origin along with the backstory of how and when it became a part of Harrison’s collection, modifications he made to it and why it was so important in creating his distinctive sound.
Musicians Ben Harper, Josh Homme, Mike Campbell, and Harrison's son Dhani each play and showcase the guitars to explore their feel and tone. Guitar great Gary Moore also shares his views on what made Harrison such a distinctive and influential guitar player and Conan O’Brien weighs in as well.
Watch a video previewing the app’s features below:
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Cultural Appropriation FAQs, Featuring Vanessa Hudgens And The Return Of The Celebrity Bindi
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday' Music Video Ruins All Birthday Parties
- Betty White Tells Larry King She Doesn't Understand Homophobes
- Annecy attendees will be the first to feast their eyes on "Feast," Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest short