George Lucas Engaged to DreamWorks Animation Chairman Mellody Hobson
The duo has been romantically linked since 2006.
Just months after selling Lucasfilm Ltd. to Disney, George Lucas is ready for another big change: marriage.
The Star Wars writer-director is engaged to longtime girlfriend and DreamWorks Animation chairman Mellody Hobson, a rep for Lucasfilm confirms to The Hollywood Reporter. It will be the first marriage for Hobson, 43, and the second for Lucas, 68.
In addition to her gig with DreamWorks, Hobson also heads Chicago-based investment management firm Ariel Investments Llc. and is chairman of Ariel Mutual Funds. Ariel reportedly is among the largest African-American-owned money management and mutual fund companies in the U.S.
Hobson is a regular financial contributor to ABC’s Good Morning America and in 2009 hosted a show on the same network called Unbroke: What You Need to Know About Money.
Lucas made headlines in October for donating his $4.05 billion payday – the amount he received for selling Lucasfilm – to an education foundation.
“As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy,” Lucas said at the time.
It is not yet known when and where Lucas and Hobson, who have dated since 2006, will tie the knot.
- Gone Too Soon: 8 Oscar Winners and Nominees Who Met Tragic Ends (Photos)
- Meet the 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Cast (Photos)
- Vintage Malibu: Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe on the Beach (Photos)
- If the World Cup Were a Movie: Christian Bale as Lionel Messi, and 11 Other Casting Ideas (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)