George Lucas' Next Act: Bill Gates-style Philanthropy
Worth $3.3 billion even before the Disney deal, Lucas is believed to be focusing on education and health charities.
George Lucas might be talking about retirement after announcing the sale of his company to Disney for $4.05 billion, but sources say he has ambitious plans for a major, Bill Gates-style philanthropic initiative. Lucas, 68, is said to be interested primarily in education and health issues.
In 2010, Lucas signed The Giving Pledge, the effort by Gates and Warren Buffett to get America's wealthiest individuals and families "to commit to giving the majority of their wealth to the philanthropic causes and charitable organizations of their choice either during their lifetime or after their death."
At the time, Lucas said in a public letter: "I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future -- and the first step begins with the social, emotional and intellectual tools we provide to our children."
Lucas serves at chairman of the George Lucas Educational Foundation and in 2006 gave $175 million to his alma mater, USC. In September, Forbes estimated Lucas' net worth at $3.3 billion.
A representative from Lucasfilm did not respond to a request for comment from The Hollywood Reporter.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott