George Michael Getting 'Better by the Hour,' Says Boyfriend
The former Wham! singer was hospitalized earlier this week with pneumonia, forcing him to cancel the rest of his 2011 tour dates.
George Michael's boyfriend says the hospitalized singer's condition is improving.
Celebrity hairdresser Fadi Fawaz told the U.K.'s Mirror that Michael -- who was hospitalized in Vienna, Austria, earlier this week for pneumonia, forcing him to cancel the rest of his 2011 tour dates -- is "getting better by the hour."
“George is doing well and is in good spirits,” said Fawaz, who added that he been with Michael at his bedside. “I have been seeing him each day and he is getting stronger all the time. George is trying to stay upbeat. He is smiling through it all and everyone is just willing him to get better.”
Fawaz said he is speaking up about Michael's condition to set the record straight in the wake of reports claiming that doctors had put the singer in an induced coma and that a heart problem was causing Michael serious pain.
“A lot of what has been reported isn’t true," Fawaz said. "I’ve been with him every day and his condition is getting better. His family and friends are very happy with his care. He is in the best place, getting the treatment he needs.”
Michael fell ill Monday while staying at Vienna’s Imperial Hotel with Fawaz, just hours before he was supposed to perform in the city.
A statement Friday from publicist Connie Filippello said the 48-year-old singer "is responding to treatment and slowly improving."
Michael "is ill with pneumonia and any other speculation regarding his illness is unfounded and untrue," the statement said.
The singer has postponed dates in Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and London; the statement said that all of the concerts will be rescheduled.
Michael gained mega-stardom in his early 20s as half of Wham! and went on to a successful solo career. His first solo album, 1987's Faith, sold 20 million copies.
Michael had played 45 dates on his Symphonica European tour before falling ill.
Michael reportedly began dating Fawaz less than a month ago.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay