George Zimmerman's Lawyers Resign as His Counsel, Say He Spoke to Fox News' Sean Hannity

2:11 PM PST 04/10/2012 by Jordan Zakarin
Getty Images

The Florida man who shot and killed 17-year old Trayvon Martin has not returned calls from his legal team, who revealed he spoke privately with the conservative pundit.

The strange saga of the Trayvon Martin case took an abrupt and shocking twist on Tuesday, as the lawyers for George Zimmerman, the Sanford, Florida Neighborhood Watch captain who shot and killed Martin, announced that they would no longer serve as his counsel.

The attorneys, Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig, say that they lost touch with Zimmerman after Sunday night, when they were helping to publicize a new website soliciting donations for Zimmerman's legal and living costs.

"He has gone on his own. I don't know what he's doing or who he's talking to," Sonner told reporters at a press conference in front of the Sanford courthouse.

Zimmerman, they said, has decided to conduct publicity matters himself, including speaking to Fox News host Sean Hannity in an off-the-record conversation that the host would not share with them.

Hannity has been somewhat sympathetic to Zimmerman in his broadcasts, proposing that the incident could possibly have been “a horrible accident."  

"Could this just be, you know, a case where Trayvon was running because he thought he was in jeopardy, [...] Is it possible it was just a horrible accident?" Hannity asked during a March broadcast.

Last week, Hannity hosted Zimmerman's father for an exclusive interview, allowing him to speak on behalf of his son.

 

comments powered by Disqus