Geraldo Rivera Considering Run for Senate
The TV and radio host says that he is "contemplating" running for a New Jersey Senate seat in 2014.
Geraldo Rivera says he's thinking about running for Senate.
In an aside on his radio show, the host said that he had contacted the local GOP in New Jersey, where he is considering a run in the next election cycle in 2014.
“I mentioned this only briefly to my wife ... but I am and I’ve been in touch with some people in the Republican Party in New Jersey. I am truly contemplating running for Senate against Frank Lautenberg or Cory Booker," Rivera said, according to The Hill.
“I’m not going to drill this out, because obviously I’ve got commitments to Fox and to here at the radio program and I’m really having a great time,” he said. “But I figure at my age, if I’m going to do it, I’ve got to do it."
Rivera anchors Geraldo at Large on Fox News and hosts on Los Angeles radio station 790 KABC. If the personality decided to jump into the race, it could set up a showdown between two highly recognizable figures.
Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark and a prominent national Democrat, has already filed papers registering his Senate campaign after considering a run to challenge Republican Chris Christie in the race for governor in 2014.
Rivera also floated the notion of a potential run on his Twitter account on Thursday, asking followers, "Wondering how folks feel about me running in N.J. under GOP banner against either Lautenberg or Booker for U.S. Senate?"
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)