Gerard Butler Hospitalized Following Surfing Accident on Set
The actor had been filming a scene for Fox 2000's upcoming movie "Of Men and Mavericks" when he wiped out.
Gerard Butler was hospitalized after a surfing scare on Sunday in North California.
The actor had been filming a scene for his role as a surfer in Of Men and Mavericks when he was dragged underwater and over rocks by a set of huge waves. Butler, 42, was rescued by a coastal patrolman and taken to Stanford Medical Center in a bit of a shock but otherwise OK, according to Frank Quirarte's account on ESPN.com.
"He had that 100-yard stare that surfers get after a two-wave hold-down or near-death experience. After almost 20 years at Maverick's, I've seen a lot of it but it was good to see he was standing on his own two legs," said Quirarte, referencing the famous (and dangerous) surf destination.
Butler was out on the water with pro surfers Peter Mel, Zach Wormhoudt and Greg Long, who are consulting on the drama. Of Men and Mavericks -- to be released next year by Fox 2000 Pictures -- also co-stars Elisabeth Shue and Abigail Breslin. It follows a chapter in the true-life story of Northern Californian Jay Moriarty, a world champion surfer who made a name surfing Mavericks north of Half Moon Bay before dying in a diving accident at age 22.
Gerard -- who's sporting a leaner and more athletic physique these days -- portrays local surfing legend Frosty Hesson, who trained the young Moriarty, played by Jonny Weston.
He is expected to fully recover from the accident.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)