German Comedy 'What A Man' Beats out 'Final Destination 5,' 'Cowboys & Aliens' in Local Bow
Rom-com marks stars Matthias Schweighofer and Sibel Kekilli of "Game of Thrones"
COLOGNE, Germany - What A Man, the rom-com directorial debut of German star Matthias Schweighofer, beat out the Hollywood competition to take the number one spot at the German box office this past weekend. What A Man blew past Final Destination 5 and Cowboys & Aliens, which also bowed in the territory this weekend, and easily toppled last week's number one - Captain America - The First Avenger. The Marvel comic adaptation slipped six spots in the German charts to seventh place,
With more than 340,000 admissions in 353 theaters, What A Man marked the second-best start for a German film this year, just behind Til Schweiger's Kokowaah. For distributor 20th Century Fox, it was the best bow ever for a German film and confirms Schweighofer as a bona-fide box office draw in Germany.
Schweighofer also co-wrote the script to What a Man and stars alongside German actress Sibel Kekilli, who plays Shae in HBO's Game of Thrones.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR