German Home Entertainment Market Hits Record High in 2013
With sell-through and rental revenues of $2.4 billion last year, Germany continues to buck global DVD slump.
Germany continues to buck the global slump in home entertainment revenues, with the local market hitting record levels in 2013.
Official figures released Friday show Germany's home entertainment market booked revenues of $2.4 billion (€1.757 billion) last year, nearly $70 million more than in 2012.
Both the sell-through and rental business showed growth, with booming digital revenues as well as strong demand for Blu-ray Discs more than compensating for a slow slide in traditional DVD sales.
Blu-ray revenue shot up 20 percent last year to $470 million (€343 million) in Germany while DVD sales fell only slightly, to $1.3 billion from around $1.4 billion a year earlier. Digital sell-through posted double-digit growth, up 13 percent to $71 million (€52 million).
Germany remains a largely physical-sales and rental market. Digital revenues account for just 9 percent of total sales. In sell-through, digital sales are just 4 percent of total revenues. The figure is much higher in the rental market, where digital rentals -- which jumped 32 percent last year -- accounted for a third of the territory's total rental revenues of $427 million (€312 million). But even in rental, fully 57 percent of revenues in Germany last year were booked through traditional video rental stores.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)