German 'Office' to big screen
German comedy outfit Brainpool is producing a feature film based on the cult TV series "Stromberg," the German adaptation of the BBC hit "The Office."
Writer and series co-creator Ralf Husmann will pen the script to the feature, which is planned as the finale to the sitcom's fourth season.
Christoph Maria Herbst, who brought a British-style irony to the role that made him famous in Germany, will star as the incompetent boss of a small-time insurance office.
"Stromberg" is in its third season on Pro7, meaning it's already run longer than its BBC predecessor, which aired from 2001-02. Last year, it scored multiple nominations at the German TV Awards, ultimately taking home the prizes for best sitcom and best screenplay.
The series has even spawned a spinoff, "Beruhmt" (Famous), which follows the misadventures of office brown-noser Ernie. That series, which Husmann also is writing, will debut next year on Pro7. (partialdiff)
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR