German Producer Bernd Eichinger Dies at 61
The man who produced well-known films ‘The Neverending Story’ and ‘Downfall,’ died suddenly Monday.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Bernd Eichinger, the German producer of Oscar-nominated films including Downfall and The Baader Meinhof Complex, died suddenly of a heart attack Monday at his home in Los Angeles.
The 61-year-old producer, whose credits also include The Name of the Rose, Perfume – The Story of A Murder and The Fantastic Four, died during a dinner Monday night with family and friends.
Though there had been rumors Eichinger might be in poor health after he failed to attend the Bavarian Film Awards earlier this year, his death comes a shock.
Eichinger is survived by his wife Katja, a film journalist and daughter Nina, a well-known TV personality and jury member on the German version of American Idol.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'