German Shooter 'Crysis 2' Tops Most-Pirated Computer Games List In 2011
Nearly 4 million users downloaded the game illegally on BitTorrent filesharing sites.
COLOGNE, Germany – Sci-fi war game Crysis 2 designed by German developers Crytek earned the dubious honor of most pirated computer game of 2011, with 3.92 million users downloading the shooter illegally on BitTorrent filesharing sites.
Filesharing news site TorrentFreak listed Crysis 2 as the most pirated PC game of the year, ahead of Activision Blizzard's blockbuster title Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 with 3.65 million illegal downloads. COD:MW3 was number two on the most-pirated games for the Xbox360 platform, with 830,000, behind Epic Games' Gears of War 3 with 890,000. The Xbox version of Crysis 2 did not make the top 5 most-pirated list. For the Wii platform, Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the most pirated game a second year in a row, with 1.28 million illegal downloads in 2011.
Even among legitimate critics, Crysis 2 was a stand-out performer last year. The title swept the German Developer Awards last month, taking six trophies, including best German game. Crysis 2 also picked up several international honors, among them the videogame graphics of the year prize at the 3D world CG awards and best European soundtrack honors at the Fun & Serious Games Festival.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR