Germany’s ProSieben Falls for ‘New Girl’
Fox’s hit sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel will bow in Germany in primetime starting in January.
COLOGNE, Germany – German commercial network ProSieben has fallen for the New Girl, picking up Fox’s hit sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel for Europe’s largest TV market. ProSieben, which airs U.S. sitcoms including Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, will air the pilot of New Girl in a late night slot Jan. 5 before scheduling the series for a weekly primetime position from Jan.11.
It’s rare that a German network pounces on a U.S. sitcom in its first season. American comedies can be a tough sell in Germany and channels typically prefer to wait until a show has proven itself with domestic audiences. But the huge response to New Girl and Fox’s early full-season order for the show, seems to have convinced ProSieben to give the series a try. Even more surprising is the channel’s decision to air the show in primetime.
ProSieben’s (successful) strategy with new U.S. sitcoms has been to first test series in daytime before promoting them to primetime slots.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead