Germany’s ProSieben Falls for ‘New Girl’
Fox’s hit sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel will bow in Germany in primetime starting in January.
COLOGNE, Germany – German commercial network ProSieben has fallen for the New Girl, picking up Fox’s hit sitcom starring Zooey Deschanel for Europe’s largest TV market. ProSieben, which airs U.S. sitcoms including Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, will air the pilot of New Girl in a late night slot Jan. 5 before scheduling the series for a weekly primetime position from Jan.11.
It’s rare that a German network pounces on a U.S. sitcom in its first season. American comedies can be a tough sell in Germany and channels typically prefer to wait until a show has proven itself with domestic audiences. But the huge response to New Girl and Fox’s early full-season order for the show, seems to have convinced ProSieben to give the series a try. Even more surprising is the channel’s decision to air the show in primetime.
ProSieben’s (successful) strategy with new U.S. sitcoms has been to first test series in daytime before promoting them to primetime slots.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!