Germany's Constantin Medien Posts Lower First-Quarter Results
The group's film division is producing upcoming youth fantasy franchise "The Mortal Instruments."
CANNES -- Earnings at German television and film group Constantin Medien took an expected dip in the first quarter amid lower revenue and higher expenses.
Quarterly revenue fell 4.2 percent to $134 million (€103.7 million), and profit dropped to $645,000 (€500,000) from €700,000 in the year-ago period.
Higher production costs for new releases -- Constantin is producing the hotly-anticipated The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, the first in a planned youth fantasy franchise -- as well as increased licensing expenses for acquired titles meant Constantin's film division booked a $2.3 million (€1.8 million) loss in the first quarter.
Revenue at Constantin's sports and events marketing operations took a hit, falling 44 percent to $2.3 million (€10.1 million), a result of a changes in Constantin's deal with European soccer body UEFA to market the Champions League soccer tournament. But the unit's profit was up.
Constantin CEO Bernhard Burgener said the company's first-quarter results "met our expectations" and noted high expectations for the release of The Mortal Instruments film this summer.
Constantin is well financed for the coming years, thanks in part to a new $84 million (€65 million) five-year corporate bond the company secured in April.
For the full year, Burgener confirmed early forecasts that put group revenue at $568 million-$619 million (€440 million-€480 million) and calls for a profit.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott