Germany's Senator Posts Lower Half-Year Figures
The performance of the distributor's slate, including "Safe Haven," hasn't come close to last year's blockbuster success of French comedy "The Intouchables."
BERLIN – After the once-in-a-lifetime indie success of French comedy The Intouchables in Germany last year, first-half figures at Berlin distributor Senator slipped.
Revenue dropped nearly 40 percent to $22 million, and a $6 million profit turned into a $1.1 million loss.
The Intouchables soared to the top of the German box office charts last year, eventually earning some $75 million in the territory.
That success single-handedly transformed Senator from a nearly-bust indie producer/distributor to a major player in Germany. The coming months and years will show if the boost was temporary or if Senator can continue to play in the major leagues.
The results so far this year have been weaker. Operating profits dipped more than 35 percent to just under $7 million. Senator's first-half releases, including On The Other Side of the Tracks featuring Intouchables star Omar Sy and Lasse Hallstrom's Safe Haven, have not provided the needed boost.
Senator is betting in-house productions and co-productions will help. The company's highest-profile in-house titles include the co-production A Most Wanted Man starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Willem Dafoe and Rachel McAdams and German-language literary adaptation Der Koch from director Ralf Huettner, both of which hit German theaters next year.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game