GetGlue Gets $12 Million in Funding
The social media platform for entertainment reached the 2 million user mark and saw more than 100 million check-ins in 2011.
NEW YORK - Entertainment-focused social media platform GetGlue said Wednesday that it has closed a $12 million round of financing led by Rho Ventures and reached the 2 million user mark.
Also participating in the latest funding round for the entertainment check-in service were existing investors, such as Time Warner Investments, RRE Ventures and Union Square Ventures, the company said in a blog post.
"This is a major event for GetGlue, a big vote of confidence from investors, and a huge opportunity to continue to play a defining role in the social TV space," said CEO Alex Iskold in the post. "This financing follows a year of strong growth for GetGlue. We reached the 2 million user milestone and saw more than 100 million check-ins in 2011."
GetGlue's database now contains 350 million check-ins, ratings and reviews, he highlights. And 75 major TV networks in the U.S. and U.K. have used GetGlue to reward fans of 680 shows.
About the new year, Iskold said GetGlue has "big plans for 2012 and beyond." Among other things, "we are working on building a more personalized, media-rich second screen experience for phones, tablets and GetGlue.com," he said.
The New York-based company launched in 2009. Users who check into shows and rate content can win stickers and other things.
Email: Georg.Szalai@thr.com; Twitter: @georgszalai
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR