Girl Scouts Pulls Plug on Honey Boo Boo's Facebook Cookie Sales
The organization steps in to stop the child star's campaign to help a friend sell the addictive treats.
The Girl Scouts of America have put a stop to Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson's cookie-selling efforts.
The 7-year-old star of TLC's Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is not a Girl Scout herself, but her friend Destiny is. So Thompson pitched in to push Thin Mints, Tagalongs and the rest of the addictive treats by advertising for them on her official Facebook page.
Alana's mother, June Shannon, offered boxes at $3.50 each plus shipping, which included in the asking price an autographed family photo -- an offer that was inundated with requests within hours of going up.
An email address was later provided for fans who hadn't had a chance to order cookies from the reality TV stars, at which point Girls Scouts officials stepped in to shut down the operation.
Representatives of Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia tell CBS Atlanta that the practice of advertising on Facebook is not endorsed by the organization and ordered Shannon to stop taking orders but allowed the family to fulfill any orders already received.
"Because we want our Girl Scouts to follow through on their promises, we are allowing the girls to fulfill orders of autographed cookies that were sold prior to the request that the post be taken down," says Debbie Caballero, the local chapter's marketing and communications officer.
According to Shannon, however, the Girl Scouts official only took issue with a photo of Alana posted on Facebook that incorporated a Girl Scouts logo.
The Girl Scouts Cookie Program offered this comment on the controversy: "Our common goal is to help ensure that every Girl Scout benefits from her participation in the program. After a conversation with the site administrator, the post on Alana Thompson's site was removed. While we encourage our Girl Scouts to use the most creative and resourceful ways possible to reach their Cookie Program goals, we are committed to applying our Girl Scout Cookie Program policies fairly across the board."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!