Box Office Report: 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' Grosses at Least $1.6 Mil in Tuesday Night Runs
UPDATED: The English-language remake headlines Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara; Paramount's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol does a stellar $2 million in Tuesday evening shows as it expands nationwide after limited IMAX sneaks.
David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- which earned a glowing A CinemaScore -- grossed a solid $1.6 million from 2,700 Tuesday night runs as Sony looked to whip up word-of-mouth by launching a night early.
Comparisons are difficult, since it’s unusual to open a film in the early evening, and Dragon Tattoo’s tally could increase once final figures come in. The movie moves into a toal of 2,914 theaters on Wednesday.
Sony believes its R-rated film, produced by Scott Rudin, will be the adult alternative to other Christmas pics. Women and men over the age of 25—who are showing equal interest in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo—are expected to be the audience, although Sony has aggressively marketed to younger adults as well.
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was officially supposed to open on Wednesday, Dec. 21, but Sony decided to go a night early.
On Wednesday, the Christmas box office gets even more crowded as Paramount and Skydance Productions’ Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol and Steven Spielberg’s The Adventures of Tintin, from Paramount and Sony, officially open nationwide.
Ghost Protocol launched last Friday in 425 IMAX and large-format screens, earning a stellar $15.4 million through Monday. The Tom Cruise pic earned $3.7 million on Tuesday, including $1.7 million from the existing 425 screens and another $2 million in evening shoes on approximately 2,400 new sreens.
Warner Bros.' sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Book of Shadows grossed $5.2 million on Friday for a five day cume of $49.7 million.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack